Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Place to stay on Western Vancouver Island
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 10:09:13 -0700

At 10:31 PM -0700 8/1/03, Peter Klein wrote:
>Could anyone recommend a place to stay in the Tofino/Ucluet area on
>the west coast of Vancouver Island (BC, Canada)?  We're planning to
>spend a few days there.  We are not looking to rough it, nor are we
>looking to blow Leica-class sums of money on ostentatious luxury.
>Something in between.
>
>Any thoughts on a place to stay and things to see?
>
>Thanks,
>--Peter

We go to Long Beach at least once a year, and have done so since
1967, when the access was via logging road over the mountains. At
that time there was a 5 room motel in Ucluelet, and Tofino didn't
even have 50 people.

Now our preferred place to stay is 'Pacific Sands' a little south of
Tofino on the beach. http://www.pacificsands.com About $120US a night.

Vist the Eagle Aerie Gallery in Tofino, owned and run by Roy Henry
Vickers. Go to http://www.longbeachmaps.com/parts.html which has a
map of the park and some trails. One of the best trails is #4&5
starting from the Wickaninnish Center (Not the Wickaninnish Lodge,
which is a very deluxe resort a bit north of the park. Many of the
other trails are also very nice, but this is my favourite. Lunch or
dinner at the Wickaninnish Center can also be very nice, with a
fantastic view. The best tidepools/intertidal area is below the Green
Point campground. It's worthwhile to park just outside the campground
and walk down the short trail to the beach.

On the SW edge of Ucluelet they've developed a very nice trail near
the waters edge (it's rocky here) which is worthwhile.

If you like raw oysters, there are often good ones to be had here for
little money. Some people have signs by the road near Ucluelet
offering them for sale.

Whale watching is best done from Tofino, and fishing from Ucluelet.

Great scenery everywhere. Bring rubber boots, rain gear and
sunscreen. It seldom gets above 22 degrees C, and often rains with
lots of wind. I like going on hikes even when it's stormy, although
it's hard to avoid getting soaked. Bring baggies to keep cameras dry.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com