Subject: RE: [Leica] Staying w/ film for a while - handled a D100 (and a 10D, and...)
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 11:29:16 -0400

BTW - speaking of digital v. film. This weekend I finally sprang for the
Photoshop RAW plug-in, and then shot, and played with, a couple of
experimental digital RAW files. OHMIGOD. And we need color film for what
for 99% of our uses. I shot a blue antique glass bottle lying on a dirty
white window sill, with a background of bright and dark green leaves out
the window beyond the screen, and a shadowed rusted-white window screen
frame running behind the bottle. Having shot raw, I was able - to my eye
- - to make white balance, tint, white point/color temp, black point,
mid-point, and other adjustments - before storing the image - that
allowed me to match everything except the screen frame...and I came damn
close with that...The plug in gave me more detail in the highlights than
I otherwise would have gotten, and at the same time saved the shadow
detail.

Best $100 you can spend if you want to work with digital - IMHO. And,
yes, I know that Canon and Nikon have such programs that come with their
high end cameras. But having spoken to people who have used the Canon
program, and the Adobe plug-in, the plug-in - which is apparently going
to be incorporated in the next PS release - is definitely worth the
investment.

B. D.