Subject: RE: [Leica] Question about the new 50mm f2.8 Elmar
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 15:26:14 -0700

At 2:02 PM -0500 8/4/03, Clive Moss wrote:
>Yes it does rotate when the lens is focused. The bad thing is that the
>reverse also happens -- turning the iris setting ring causes the lens to
>focus, unless you are locked on infinity. Drives me crazy. I bought the lens
>used for a good price, but I am not sure now that it was a good idea.
>I have not done enough with it to comment on its quality. I find myself
>using the Noctilux much more than the Elmar, despite the weight.
>--
>Clive
>http://clive.moss.net

If your's rotates, it's an old one. Current ones don't rotate, either
with focussing or aperture changes. Quality is excellent; maybe not
quite up to Summicron standard wide open, but f/4 and smaller you
would have a hard time seeing any difference. Definitely better than
Summilux or Noctilux. At f/8 and smaller, there is no practical
difference between any of them.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design