Subject: Re: [Leica] Staying w/ film for a while - handled a D100 (and a 10D, and...)
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 15:47:08 -0700

At 5:02 PM -0400 8/4/03, Afterswift@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 8/4/03 1:50:40 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>bdcolen@earthlink.net writes:
>
>>  But the question is why you put half the thought into your digital
>>   shots. My point is that comes from your view of digital as not being
>>   "real." Turn off autoeverything and shoot your digital camera the way
>>   you'd shoot an M.
>I'm now doing just what you suggest. I've set my 5050 at 1/250 for field work
>and I'm trying to work with it as I do with my M3. The nature of the Olympus
>5050 is such that it resembles a view camera in some ways and a PS in others.
>Since the 5050 has a zoom lens and my M3 uses separate lenses, part of the
>extra time involves switching between lenses -- and deciding to do
>that. I made
>sure that the 5050 would have an optical finder, closely related to the finder
>in the M and CL. I'm still in the learning process. But certain differences in
>approach between film and digital are becoming obvious. The M is much faster
>and responsive in actually making the exposure. Leica lenses are needle sharp.
>Shooting B&W with a Leica is the real thing. In a digital you're still
>playing with color inside the circuitry. And a digital is 100%
>dependent on battery
>power. Now and forever.
>
>Best,
>br

Film cameras are 100% dependent on film, which in almost all cases
takes up more room than batteries.

The only point you make which has any real validity is that there are
no decent B&W digital cameras nor off the shelf B&W photo printers.

The M is faster than other film cameras as well, especially P&S film cameras.

Many lenses are wonderfully 'sharp'; most professional lenses are
'sharper' than our usual technique can make use of. P&S lenses,
whether film or digital, are not so hot.

The lag time issue exists, but it also exists in P&S film cameras,
and to a lesser extent in DSLR's. Some digicams, that are simpler and
have a short lag time as their design goal, have about the same lag
time as a Leica M.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design