Subject: Re: Re: [Leica] Re: opinions on M7 vs. MP
From: David Prakel <david@photopartners.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 10:09:13 +0100

On 4/8/03 6:12 pm, "Joe Chan" <owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
wrote:

> There is no foam around the back of my M6TTL and it did have a light leak
> problem when I bought it new three years ago. It was fixed by Leica UK but not
> by adding foam.
>
> The M7 does have foam around the back edges.
>
> I also had light leak problems on my M4-P which I fixed (looks good so far
> anyway) by sticking foam around the edge of the back just like the M7.
>
> Joe Chan
>
>> Don Dory wrote:
>>
>>> Mitch,
>>> Your light leak is coming from the foam around the back that flips up.
>>> The earlier M2's and M3's go around this by using precision metal to
>>> metal fitment.  The good news is that it is very easy to fix, and if
>>> every ten years or so you take a look at the foam, you can avoid light
>>> leaks.
>>>
>>> Don
>>
>> Are you *sure* there is foam to seal the back on the M6? I no longer have
>> one for inspection but I don't think that they use foam.
>>
>> Some on the list have had light leak around the edges of the shutter
>> curtains. I think there is an adjustment that must be right or they can
>> leak.

Mitch, Don and Joe

I had my 1986 M6 checked over by the Leica UK technician at the February
Focus on Imaging show this year. I asked about the foam strip at the bottom
of the hinged back which was crumbling. He said it had no light trap
properties at all and was there on some M6/M6TTLs to stop the back rattling.
A replacement foam was sent to me by post.

- --
Regards
David Prakel

Centre of Britain PhotoWorkshops Partnership
www.photopartners.co.uk