Subject: Re: [Leica] Staying w/ film for a while - handled a D100 (and a10D, and...)
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 07:21:19 -0700

Henning Wulff wrote:

> At 3:50 PM -0500 8/4/03, George Lottermoser wrote:
> >Not the definition of photography - however the definitions:
> >Photographic print, photographic negative, photographic slide,
> >photographic transparency, photographic positive - as meaning light
> >sensitive emulsions on substrates which have been exposed to light
> >and therefore hold an image - seems very different in fact,
> >substance and aesthetics than - image data residing as code, in
><Snip>
> >me:
> >     a photographic image = recorded on light sensitive film or other
> >substrate
> >     a digital image capture = recorded on ccd, scanning back, et al
> >     a photographic print = printed on light sensitive emulsion
> >coated substrate
> >     an inkjet print = an inkjet print
> >
> >With those definitions, I can discuss the prints and their
> >properties: aesthetically, historically, technically, etc..
> >

> >bdcolen@earthlink.net (bdcolen)8/4/03
> >
> >>definition of photography
> >
> >Fond regards,
> >
> >G e o r g e   L o t t e r m o s e r,    imagist*
>
> Henning Wulff

George you're saying in effect a digital image is not a photographic
image because you don't get that warm fuzzy feeling from it.
I'm sure you already know that opinion is goin to go over like a lead
balloon on this planet.

Somebody could come up to me and say "oh you're doing darkroom work!
Silver Prints how passé! I'm doing platinum prints i wait till a nice
clear bright day and then i go out and commune with photos - the spirit
of light! My prints are dark and rich and last forever! Silver gelatin
prints! Ha! Might as well use a plastic toy camera and take a stick and
draw in the mud!"
I throw him in the fire and sing another verse of Kumbaya:

Someone's scanning my Lord, kumbaya
Someone's inkjetting my Lord, kumbaya
Someone's Photoshopping my Lord, kumbaya
Oh Lord kumbaya

Light gets captured.
It gets captured by slide film, neg film and photo papers. Tintypes and
Daguerreotypes. The sidewalk.
It also gets captured by photographic cells in a camera. Or scanner. I
can live with it. What the heck's the big deal?
Light Grabbing surely is photographay. The other half being light
drawing which would be printing. The part Photography is named after.

But No drawing without the grabbing!. I'm sure Niépce and Talbot knew that.

Markist Rabinist
grab first, draw later.

Have digital capturing device, will travel.

Message from Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com> (RE: [Leica] Staying w/ film for a while - handled a D100 (and a 10D, and...))