Subject: Re: [Leica] "real photography"
From: frank theriault <knarf.theriault@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 18:20:46 -0400

Hi, Alastar,

Exactly!  Ya can't tell nuthin' on a computer screen.

Compare prints - that's where a comparison is meaningful.

About a week and a half ago, I got an 8x10 print of this, and scanned it
(sorry if some of you have already seen this, I posted it in another
context about a week ago):

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=1639375&size=lg

I was discussing it with a friend on-line, and something he said made me
take the print out and hang it on a wall, stand back, and look at it.

I was blown away (not because it's a good shot)!  The actual print takes on
a 3D quality that just isn't there in the scan!  The background fades into
the - well, the background - and the young lady takes on a rounded "almost
there" look.  There is information in the print that is simply not in the
scan.

I'm not saying that a digital image, properly taken and printed, couldn't
do the same, I'm just saying that showing a digital image on a computer
screen, and asking if one can tell if it's digital or film misses the point
of film entirely - that's to end up as a print.

regards,
frank

Alastair Firkin wrote:

> Well of course its digital: its a jpeg!!!!
>
> Even if it were originally a silver based print, the display on our
> 72dpi screens is by necessity digital. Lovely shot, which "represents"
> reality. Its path to my screen however has involved disitization either
> at the scene of the crime or later ;-)

- --
"The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist
fears it is true." -J. Robert
Oppenheimer