Subject: Re: [Leica] Is It "analog" or Is It Digital? Drifting OT at tad
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 22:46:03 -0700

Jean-Michel,

You are quite right. Beethoven had in mind the musicians taking the
discreet notes and making them anything but. Having played the violin
for 19 years, I think I can answer that one pretty accurately. The
notes on paper are not digital any more than cursive writing is. My
violin teacher used to criticize Jascha Heifitz, the famous violinist,
because his technique was so perfect, so accurate a representation of
the musical notes on the paper, that he felt he wasn't much of a real
musician because he never put into the music who he was. Whether that
was in fact the case or not, the point is well taken for me. Music is
more than discreet notes at a mathematically perfect pace. It's taking
that as the starting point, and then the musician making the piece
theirs.

Photography is the same. We take an "accurate" two-dimensional
description of the world that the lens projects onto the
light-sensitive surface and we "make it our own." Even journalists.
Because we pick the angle, the crop and the timing (not to mention
exposure) and create a "slide of life" that we perceive to be
significant.

On Tuesday, August 5, 2003, at 05:39  PM, Jean-Michel Tomaschett wrote:

> "analog recorded audio" has nothing to do with what Beethoven had in
> mind

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

Never slap a man who's chewing tobacco. - Will Rogers.