Subject: Re: [Leica] M7 vs M3 "lag time" -- How can we find out some realnumbers?
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@imagecraft.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 23:39:13 -0700

At 07:54 PM 8/5/2003 -0700, Ted Grant wrote:
>...Gee Mike, I sure hope so, as all this number stuff is completely beyond me
>and I'm beginning to wonder how in hell I made it as a professional Leica
>photographer for 52 years without knowing one thing about this crap.

Points well taken, Ted, but there's another side to your argument. Sure you
do not care whether the lag is 13 mseconds or 100 msecs, but you *know*
approximately how long when you press the shutter before you hear the
click. If it sounds instantaneous to you, great! Imagine a RF for
god-know-why one second shutter lag, or an autofocus SLR where it takes
time for it to hunt the focus, you will learn by feel to compensate for it
too. 10 msecs, 1 sec, doesn't matter, but you will learn it in your body.

It is like if you have to calculate the trajectory of a ball given all the
variables, you gotta have some fancy math, but most human learn to throw a
ball fairly well after a few tries. And the ball is thrown usually just as
well even if some thing change (e.g. moving farther apart). Does your brain
perform all the calculus or differential equations? Probably not, but
somewhere something is learnt.

FWIW.

// richard <http://www.imagecraft.com>