Subject: RE: [Leica] squabbling over digitial vs. film
From: Tim Atherton <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 14:14:49 -0600

> From my personal experience, there is a different look to digital versus
> film.  Film to me has what I call a more historic gritty look to it due to
> the grain no matter how fine grained and digital has an ultra clean look,
> which is different in subtle manners, depending upon the chip-camera maker
> and or Photoshop operator.

a little culturally biased - in the case the culture (cult?) of the
miniature camera.

I seem to shoot much more 8x10 than 35mm these days and with 100iso Astia,
there really is no visible grain until you get to very, very big
enlargements (same with FP4) - it is, among many other things, one of the
reasons for shooting 8x10 - that "ultra clean look". I'd be pretty pissed
off if I went to all that trouble and my photographs had a "historic gritty
look".

It's also why I've seen photographs that John Brownlow took which were
digital, that I thought he had done on his 4x5 (I'm not talking big prints,
just the "look" - what you refer to as the "ultra clean look").

But if you want the "historic gritty look" (Holga?) with digital, go to
http://www.640x480.net/  ....

tim

tim

Replies: Reply from "animal" <s.jessurun95@chello.nl> (Re: [Leica] squabbling over digitial vs. film)