Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: RE: Johnny Deadman <lists@johnbrownlow.com>
From: "Red Dawn" <reddawn@singnet.com.sg>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 12:03:57 +0800

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Felix Lopez de Maturana" <fmaturana@euskalnet.net>

> However I own both the EOS 1V and 1Ds, the figure of 87 milliseconds lag
> went from "Chasseur d'Images" who has the right laboratory for this kind
> of measurement. Of course I cannot confirm this but I see the time is,
> if not as quick as my M6/7, very speedy.

hmmm i definitely remember seeing the figure of 55ms from the Canon website.
maybe i remembered wrongly. or maybe we can't trust Canon with the figure,
just like we can no longer trust Leica regarding "flare free" viewfinders,
even on the MP :)

> But M cameras have some other advantages. Lack of noise. Weight (if M is
> not a featherweight is not the "monster" both EOS are). Size, same
> consideration. Optics, as very few Canon lenses reach the level of
> modern ASPH Leica lenses and have much more size and weight.

yup those are wat i mentioned and exactly why i still use and love the M.
Especially for its small diminuitive size. And the quietness of operation.
And the fact i can carry just a small bag with 2 Ms and a few lenses thrown
in without straining my back.

Regarding the lenses, I use only Canon prime lenses (except for the 70-200
f2.8L) and i've found that they are startlingly good, ALMOST as good as the
Leica M lenses at less than one third of the cost. The modern ASPH Leica
lenses are of course the best. Unfortunately, it's hard to afford all of
them at once! :)

I use my 1v without any vertical grip attachment though. Without the trip
the size is not as intimidating and i can actually do street photography
with it. Of course the shutter noise is still too loud for really discreet
work. But on a crowded busy and noisy street, the shutter noise melts into
the background chatter.............

> I'm not going to argue the thread digital/film. I use, without the
> shadow of a prejudice, both. But, I'm afraid, digital more and more is
> winning my predilection.
>
> So I use, and I'll follow doing so, both depending the kind of pictures
> I'm going to get.

i have the EOS 10D digital SLR and while it's not exactly a 1Ds, the quality
is astounding, especially at high ISOs. The camera itself focuses very fast,
and shutter lag is almost non existent, though not as snappy as the Ms, but
it gets the job done. Digital is here to stay, no doubt about that..

i'm trying NOT to use it too often though, else i might feel very guilty
with all that expensive M gear lying around :) Not to mention all that film
still left in the fridge........

boon hwee