Subject: Re: [Leica] What ISO do we really use?
From: Will von Dauster <vondauster@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 19:48:23 -0600

Hum. Not to be glib, but whichever speed is best for the job and the
desired results. 100 speed is about as slow as I go these days, in film
that would be Fuji Provia F or Ilford Delta 100. The fastest film I use
on a regular basis is Fuji Press 800, a surprisingly good film at its
speed. NPH for most people work, and Tri-X when I've got a choice.

But this has been one of the things which has turned me on to digital -
and been the nicest surprise with my 10D. With its excellent
performance at ISO 800 and very usable ISO 1600, it gives me the
flexibility to change "film" from shot to shot when appropriate. When
in Seattle last week for the Photoshop Conference, I had a piggybacked
a job at a local institution where I had to get photographs in
conditions as varying as a huge windowless room illuminated unevenly by
construction lights to the unusually bright (and hot - a rare heat wave
in Seattle early last week) outside of a metal-clad building. The
camera performed very well indeed.

The right tool and/or film for the job.

Will von Dauster
Denver