Subject: [Leica] Re: "lag time" and the real world
From: "David M. dorn" <dmdorn_ct_usa@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 11:26:22 -0400

David Young wrote:

Henning said:

>> I'm a bit suspicious of those 'lag times' on that site. One that
>> jumps out
>> at me is the supposed lag time of Hasselblads being 10-15ms.

> I agree, Henning.  There are a number of timings I would consider
> questionable.  Such as the EOS-RT at 8ms.   Even without a mirror to
> raise,
> that's VERY fast!
>
> What amazed me was the large number of cameras with very long times if
> the
> meter was not pre-set.  Presumably times with auto-focus engaged would
> be
> even longer!
>
> Cheers!

I don't think the time for the EOS-RT is off base.  The pro version,
the EOS 1NS was listed as 6ms.  The EOS-RT was my last (for many years)
SLR.  I seem to recall a number of tests supporting the short lag time
and my own experience would confirm it.  I would think the times are
reasonable give that all that has to happen is for current to either
flow (or stop flowing depending on the circuit design) to a solenoid to
release the shutter as soon as the button switch is closed.  This
should probably always be faster than the reaction in a mechanical
linkage which requires some form of linkage and pawls working against
tension in the shutter to accomplish the release.  Also with a
mechanical shutter some resistance has to be built in to avoid
accidental triggering.  If anyone has doubts about this take a look at
the adjustable trigger mechanism on a top of the line match pistol or
rifle.  They can be set so that the just resting the finger on the
trigger trips it.

Now there is a an idea for LEICA...add a hair trigger adjustment to the
new MP and charge another $500 for the feature.

I also think test might show that the Hexar AF when set to manual focus
(using hyperfocal settings) and manual mode for shutter and aperture
may have the the shortest lag of all.

David