Subject: RE: [Leica] Opinions regarding M2?
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 19:29:19 -0400

Justin,
I believe that I have the exact opposite view of most that have posted.
For one, I have seen more than a handful of just CLA'd M2's under $1000
in just the past two weeks.

So the real question is can you balance the lack of a built in meter and
somewhat slower loading against a truly fabulous finder and a mechanical
responsiveness that must be experienced to be believed.

Find a clean M2 or M3 and look through the finder, compare that to an
M5-7.  No comparison can be made, of the recent products only the MP has
the same finder clarity.  Are the other M is useable, of course they
are.

Some will carp about loading an M2 or M3.  It is no trick.  First you
jam the leader into the spool.  Then you pull out about seven sprockets
of film and jam the whole assembly into the cameras bottom.  As you are
reattaching the bottom plate make sure that the sprocket wheel is under
the sprockets, close the back door and key the bottom plate down.  Easy
stuff.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com