Subject: Re: [Leica] Turing test
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 18:24:00 -0700

If I take a photograph of a man beating up a spammer, and then I put it
in the newspaper, besides the world rejoicing, the truth I mean to
communicate has been told. A man beat up a spammer. A dog didn't bark
Lincoln's Gettysburg Address. A giant ant didn't crawl out of the Los
Angeles River and destroy half the city. A man beat up a spammer.  You
don't get the whole truth, like their middle names, but then no
communication between any humans ever communicates the whole truth.

Similar kinds of truths we can communicate in various ways, such as
writing and speech, can be communicated visually as well. It's a straw
man to expect perfect truth from photographs before we allow them to
communicate any truth at all. That ignores the fact that ALL forms of
communicating the truth are similarly limited.

On Friday, August 8, 2003, at 11:31  AM, LRZeitlin@aol.com wrote:

> That's just the point. If the photo were truly a faithful
> representation of
> reality, you should not be able to tell the difference. "Truth" has
> nothing to
> do with photographic fidelity.

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

Never miss a good chance to shut up.  - Will Rogers.

Replies: Reply from "Jack McLain" <jmclainaz@comcast.net> (Re: [Leica] Turing test)