Subject: Re: [Leica] DAS Week 23: something new?
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 14:53:43 EDT

In a message dated 8/9/03 10:10:01 AM, dante@umich.edu writes:

<< http://www.dantestella.com/past/past23.html >>

Dante,

I'm impressed by the all around competence of your work. In particular, the
study of Ciara strikes me as very good. You concentrated on dark hair to frame
her face. The rough bark background offsets her smooth complexion but
insinuates the contrasts you carry out in rendering the features. The curved shadow
made by her chin reinforces the shape of her face. Instead of filling in these
pronounced shadows you set your lighting to render a strong personality by
creating contrast. The tilt of the head and the lighting create a curving
directionality, so the portrait is dynamic.

However the smoothness of the skin suggests you did some prettifying. Those
of us on the LUG know what a Leica lens can do. It shows the pores of the skin.
So there's something too stage-managed about this study.
But all is well because you gave Ciana the view of herself she wanted. And
the viewer enjoys a Mozart divertimento.  But, hey, to be mentioned as
Mozart-like as a photographer is no small compliment.

br

br