Subject: Re: [Leica] Lag misunderstanding
From: Mike Quinn <mlquinn.mail@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 10:26:01 -0700

Frank,
Lots of silly things have been said in this thread (par for the course).
I agree that a difference of a few milliseconds is meaningless in any real
situation and that it's all the same to anyone who's learned to compensate
for either.

But that rational view is not what got us on the "lag" tack.
It was the statement that the photographer need not consider lag since lots
of great pictures have been taken by photographers who didn't even know it
existed. That was extended to the absolutely absurd statement that lag
shouldn't even be a camera design criteria.

There are vast differences in shutter lag that can extend into the range of
seconds if you include AF, AE, and red-eye reduction. Some of these lags are
variable so the photographer has no hope of compensating for them by "feel".
These are design problems that are real and important. It doesn't matter
what numbers or words one used to describe these problems.

One of the strengths of the LUG is that people can share their experiences,
warn others of potential problems, and tell how they have overcome them.
This thread has done that well. It's a more useful method than  to claim
that the problems don't exist.

\Mike quinn

frank theriault wrote