Subject: RE: [Leica] The Panhandler...
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 12:58:40 -0400

Well said.

- -----Original Message-----
From: owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
[mailto:owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us] On Behalf Of Steve
LeHuray
Sent: Monday, August 11, 2003 12:42 PM
To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

> In a message dated 8/11/03 7:59:32 AM, bdcolen@earthlink.net writes:
>
> << Does anyone think that these photos - again, with the rarest of
>
> exceptions - inform anyone, help anyone? If they don't, then the
> already
>
> pathetic subject simply becomes camera club fodder for the
> photographer.
>
> "Hey, look at this cool photo of this bum - aren't those shadows
> across
>
> his face meaningful?" >>
>
> BD,

Bob Rosen opines:

> Maybe the photo is a sign of respect, a recognition that a human
> being, no matter how alienated from society is part of it.
>
> br

Bob -- I need to somewhat disagree As you probably know I am constantly
on the street photographing strangers. I see a lot of photographic
fodder; homeless, obese, disabled, crippled and otherwise handicapped.
There are many, many good photo opportunities for me, but, there is
something that stops me from taking their picture. I just cannot take
advantage of some persons disadvantage, I cannot feel the pain that
their disadvantage has drawn me toward them. If I was shooting some sort
of documentary that would be different, but, what is my (and most
others) Street Photography? It is a hobby. It is something that I do to
try and feel the different moods of people, to show that there are all
kinds of flowers in the garden, that life is a rich pageantry. I just
prefer to not take advantage of somebody's disadvantage.

sl