Subject: RE: [Leica] The Panhandler...
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 10:20:31 -0700

On 8/11/03 bdcolen@earthlink.net (bdcolen) thoughtfully wrote:

>IF you believe that "street photography" exploits everyone who's a
>subject, THEN you really have to believe that any photograph featuring a
>subject who did not specifically ask to be photographed is exploitive -
>including photographs of our friends, relatives, children, etc. - most
>of whom put up with being photographed because they feel somehow
>compelled to. (I'm not saying that I believe that all photography is
>seriously exploitive, I'm just carrying this argument to what I believe
>is a very logical conclusion.)

Excuse me, but that's hog wash, BD. I don't have to believe that at all, nor is
the situation remotely the same.

You can't exploit someone who gives informed consent. Most family members fall
into that category. I assume that if someone says "please, don't" then you
wouldn't take the photograph, even if it's your daughter or grandson or what
have you.

You don't have to ask to be photographed - but by responding to the request to
be photographed (affirmatively) then your family members can't be exploited.
They can say "no."

It works the same for street people. If you're willing to take the time to see
them as people, as individuals, talk to then, explain what you're going to do,
and make sure you understand that THEY understand what you're going to do, then
you won't be exploiting them.

Draw your lines fairly in this debate.

Adam