Subject: [Leica] RE: Thoughts on a second body
From: "Garrettson, Dr. Charles" <CGARRET@thehill.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 16:19:36 -0400

I have used a Voigtlander R2 [in olive, which goes nicely with both
chrome and black lenses], and their mechanical rapidwinder as a fully
mechanical backup to my M7. I paid about $600 for both the R2 and the
winder, new. I keep the R2 in my bag with a 15mm Heliar and viewfinder
mounted ready to go. I do most of my professional work [largely
weddings] with my M7, but when I need extreme wide angle, I go to the
R2/Heliar. I have found it to be a wonderful combination. I love the
rapidwinder, the 1/2000 shutter speed, the nice grippy surface, the
price, and especially that viewfinder--easily as bright as the M7. I am
also impressed with what Voigtlander is doing these days as a company.
They are obviously alive and well, witness their new 35mm f/1.2. So, for
me, the R2 and the M7 complement each other very nicely and I have had
no serious problems switching back and forth, though there obviously is
a learning curve. Both are pretty straightforward in design. I am very
pleased.

Chuck Garrettson