Subject: [Leica] Developing skills
From: LRZeitlin@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 20:02:53 EDT

<<Ok, after about ten years of abstaining from developing my own negatives
I'd like to start again.  However, I have pretty much forgotten everything that
is important to this process other than standing in the dark and remembering
where you placed the lid to the tank.>>

Frank,

The most important skill is getting the film on the developing tank reel
without dropping the roll or screaming in frustration. Take the reel and a roll of
exposed film and practice, practice, practice until you can do it in the
dark. Which, of course, you will have to. I use Nikor 2 and 4 reel tanks myself.
The secret to loading the reels is to get just the right bend in the film to
clear the spiral wires and snap into the grooves. Once you learn to do it, you
will never forget how. It's like riding a bike.

As for developing, I just follow the film manufacturer's instructions. With
Tri-X, I use diluted D-76 as a one shot. With T-Max, I use T-Max developer. I
always send my color out since the machines can do it much better than me. Safe
and sure is my approach. I'll do my experimenting with the camera or the
enlarger.

Incidentally, I keep the tank lid in my pocket, since I have mislaid it too
many times.

Larry Z