Subject: Re: [Leica] Developing skills
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 14:17:19 EDT

In a message dated 8/12/03 10:03:40 AM, saganicc@MSKCC.ORG writes:

<< The Hewes or Kinderman reels are the best.  The cheap reels have burrs all
over which bind the film.  I started with cheep reels and almost gave up
photography.  Once I bought good reels all was eden, never a problem, even after I
dropped one.  I would advise against plastic reels, they may be easier in the
beginning, but stainless reels are easier, faster, and more reliable in the
long run.

If you develop on the run, try to pick up a Leitz Rondinax dayload tank. It
was made for Leitz by Agfa. But you've got to learn how to rotate the reel to
get even development. There was a time when Leica marketed a real system, from
camera to development to enlarging. I even have a splendidly crafted Leitz
film winder and leader trimmer to accommodate bulk film to the M3 take-up spool.
And, of course, both Leica and Nikon made indestructable cassettes that were
designed to open inside the M3 and the Nikon F. Would that Leica would bring
back the Rondinax tank and a new enlarger.

br

Replies: Reply from "firkin" <firkin@balhpl01.ncable.net.au> ([Leica] Re: Developing skills)
Reply from tripspud <tripspud@transbay.net> (Re: [Leica] Developing skills)