Subject: Re: [Leica] Wollensack lenses for Leica
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infionline.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 12:58:16 -0400

At 10:22 PM 8/12/03 EDT, LRZeitlin@aol.com wrote:
>Wollensak Optical Co. of Rochester, NY was a well respected lens maker in
the
>40s and 50s. They were among the first US lens manufacturers to use coatings
>and made high quality press and enlarging lenses. I believe the company was
>acquired by Eastman Kodak. A good trivia question among Leicaholics would
be to
>ask if Leica ever supplied a 127mm lens. The Wollensak lens seems to be the
>one and only 35 mm camera lens of that focal length.

Wollensak supplied the US Army with its excellent fire control optics
during the first two-thirds of the last century.  They also supplied the US
Navy with a lot of their fire-control gear.

This was a first-rate firm capable of producing first-rate optics.

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!

Replies: Reply from Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net> (Re: [Leica] Wollensack lenses for Leica)