Subject: [Leica] Digital "SLR"
From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 19:46:19 +0100

There are "reflex" cameras using an electronic viewfinder in place of
the mirror and ground glass. They are useless for manual focus
(obviously) but not too bad for normal use, though I wouldn't use one
again. A digital SLR has all the benefits and disadvantages of
traditional SLRs and is better for all the purposes I have used for the
last  couple of years.
I hypothesised about the suitability of adapting an M body for digital
use because of its removeable door and superb lenses but was told that
the lenses are unsuited to use on digital sensors because of incidence
angles at the sensor being higher in these types of lenses. This seemed
plausible at first (see the Olympus bumf) but, on reflection, I am no
longer convinced. However the optics are arranged the light will have
to be focussed on the sensor plane. Rays from the periphery of the lens
on one side will always therefore have to have a considerable incidence
to the diametrically opposed edge of the sensor. M lenses may be
slightly worse than reflex lenses (and fast lenses probably more so)
but if the EOS 1Ds can produce good images from a 24mm f1.4 why
couldn't an M with a 24mm f2.8?
cheers
Frank
ps anyway Leica have already thrown their digital hat into the R ring
so that is probably that anyway.

Replies: Reply from Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com> (Re: [Leica] Digital "SLR")