Subject: [Leica] mrs malaprop strikes again
From: Johnny Deadman <lists@johnbrownlow.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 18:49:40 -0400

There's a name for that kind of thing, where you put an inappropriate
latinate ending on a latinate word. It's technically incorrect but of
course the OED is not an arbiter of correctness only usage. So if a
technically incorrect form is used enough, it goes in the dictionary
(and may eventually become the 'correct' form). You hear it ALL the
time on CNN. "Admittance" or "admittal" instead of "admission",
variations of that kind of thing. You even see it in print, especially
(for some strange reason) White House press releases, which is
inexcusable. It makes me grind my teeth and want to shout at the TV,
but I try to control myself for the sake of the children.

On Wednesday, August 13, 2003, at 03:35 PM, Chandos Michael Brown wrote:

> What can I say?  I cut and pasted from the on-line version of the OED
> we
> use at the College.  I just checked the print version (I keep the 20
> vol. set in my office) and note that "perfidity" appears in vol. XI,
> page 541, col. 1.
>
> I'm too lazy to go and check the Webster's Collegiate in the Dept.
> library.
>
> The OED indicates that this term is "rare."  Doubtless "perfidy" is
> more
> common, but "perfidity" is most definitely a word.
- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com
http://www.unintended-consequences.com