Subject: [Leica] HCB
From: "Sal DiMarco,Jr." <sdmp007@pressroom.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 08:15:33 -0400

Luggers,
    Many stories we heard about the "legends" of photography are often
selected little pieces or parts of the whole picture.
    Eric started with HCB shooting only 2 rolls of color  when sent to do an
essay on Portugal. OK, but how many B&W rolls of film did he take on the
trip. If, I were the assigning editor, and I got back only 72 exposures from
what on the surface, looks like a multi-week assignment, I would be
outraged. HCB or no HCB.
    Also, HCB dislikes shooting color, and being independently wealthy he
can be picky with the assignments he accepts. He "found" the color film he
shot in the Soviet Union, which LIFE very much wanted to see, only after the
story was published.
    Then some one mentioned, his lab says he has often shot 40 rolls a day,
the other extreme.
    I submit, some days,  you shoot very heavy, and others light. It all
depends on what is happening.
    Finally, someone asks where does he keep all this film, since in the
photos one sees of HCB, he's only carrying a one Leica?
    Think about it..... Who  took the picture? His assistant, who also
happened to be carrying the extra cameras and film...
Happy Snaps,
Sal

Sal DiMarco, Jr.
Philadelphia, PA