Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW 33-abstract photography
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 07:11:16 -0700

Alastair Firkin wrote:

> Stieglitz used clouds to represent abstractions and then called them
> Equivalents. I saw a whole bunch of them a few months ago. By
> themselves: the only way I'd seen them before, I thought why?, but in a
> group, I began to get  an idea of what he was after.

Yes Alastair! I just learned that "Equivalents" was Stieglitz's thing
and not Minor Whites baby just last week.
I thought they had to be hung in pairs side by side... Like diptychs in
which your right eye is seeing something completely different from your
left, OK equivalent from the left eye. You can see i confuse them with
stereo cards and I'm sure that's the point.

A cool ideal but cutting those mats to hang two in a frame would be
tricky for me but then i find out they exist as single images standing
alone as well as diptychs. The stereo holders are then modified for only
one eye. There's always a big relationship when you stick two things
together side by side. I'd call that whole thing a cheeptrych.

I gotta say that two projector two screen slide shows are as big as
ever. We had one at last years LHSA October meeting here in Portland.
I've done quite of few of them of my own work but along time ago…
But then if you want both screens to dissolve you need four projectors!
A real handful.
Which is why quicktime and other programs and structures on laptops or
video projectors will win out more sooner that later.
Which is a shame projected slides on a non beaded screen is a way to
amazingly see your own or someone elses work both because of the
magnification - you're not about to blow up  your prints 40x80" ...
and the luminance which if I recall Ansel is like 200 to 1 in a
completely dark room where a glossy print is 50 to 1. Mat print 20 to 1.
That sounds right to me. What a memory!

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com