Subject: [Leica] Travel and film
From: Lee England <engl6914@cableone.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 13:48:58 -0500

Regarding travel and film I'm reminded of an incident in the Jackson, Miss.
Airport 10 months ago.  I put my 35 mm film without plastic canisters into a
ziplock and asked for a hand check at security.  It was hand checked all
right.  After a wand was passed over it I was informed the canisters had
flunked 3 out of 3 tests for C4 plastic explosive and was I in the military
or the police.  By then I had four burly uniformed guards around me while I
tried to explain how I was just going to the LSU-Florida game and really
wished I'd run this film through Xray.  Then the Delta rep was brought in to
peer at me and the film.  The plane's ready to pull away.  Finally they let
me on with the film.
    Since then I've put the film--ASA 400, Ilford--in a lead bag and run it
through XRay with the camera in the Domke bag.  Only once has the film been
pulled out of the lead bag for inspection, including trips through Gatwick,
Charles de Gaulle, Atlanta, Jackson, Jacksonville, Boston, Baton Rouge,
Houston, Leon (Mexico) and New Orleans.  Much faster and quicker, and I've
had no problem with the film.

On another note, after a lot of frustrating effort with Adobe Go Live I've
managed to make an internet site for photos of these various trips and of
other wanderings through the backwoods of Mississippi in a Range Rover,
almost all taken with an M2---www.englandphotographic.com

Lee England
Natchez, Miss.

Replies: Reply from "Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com> (Re: [Leica] Travel and film)