Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica 8 mp and lens lockout
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 14:45:53 -0700

On 2003-08-15 Afterswift@aol.com thoughtfully wrote:

>I heard a rumor that the Leica 8 uses micro fiber optics instead of a sensor
>array. The optics are bundled into a rectangular shape, 1mm x 2mm. This is
>probably the first use of fiber optics in a quality digital camera. Digital
>fiber optics is revolutionary because it can image telephoto and WA zoom
>effects from a single specially designed focal length lens, merely by moving
>the fiber optics bundle to different points made by the lens' image.
>
>Th

I don't buy this fiber-optic thing at all. After Kyle's post I called J who told
me about the camera she'd played with and she says it's a traditional technology
camera. I pressed her about the B&W version and she said Kyle was right, that
the latest rev of the camera and firmware let it radically exploit the image
sensor for true monochrome.

I'm SOOOOO stoked by this! At LAST someone out there is thinking. I'll bet a
side-effect is built-in red, blue and green filtration at a single setting.

We'll have to see what the mavens in Solms will do with this...

AB