Subject: Re: [Leica] What a prosumer camera is
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 07:20:50 -0700

Doug Herr wrote:

> on 8/17/03 9:23 PM, Afterswift@aol.com at Afterswift@aol.com wrote:
>

> > Methinks a prosumer camera has a real definition. It's a non-interchangeable
> > lens camera that is compact, less rugged, and is light and affordable by most
> > people who know something about photography, yet can produce quality almost as
> > good as its expensive full-function professional counterpart. A prosumer
> > camera isn't intended for daily professional use. Anyway, that's my humble
> > opinion. According to those standards, a Digilux, LC5,
> > Olympus 5050, Canon G5, Nikon 5400, and a number of Sonys are prosumer.
>
> Are there no film prosumer cameras?
>
> Is a Canon Rebel or a Nikon N65 a professional-quality camera?  They're
> plenty good enough for many consumers but for the more demanding among us
> they fall short in many ways, not just in feature sets.  They are not
> intended for daily professional use.
>
> A Canon EOS 1Ds is a professional-grade camera.  This is what the R8/R9 +
> DMR should be compared with, not the 10D  The 10D's 6.5 MPixel sensor is
> plenty good enough for many users but the 10 MPixels of the DMR or 11
> MPixels of the 1Ds will satisfy the more demanding among us.  I dare say
> that with the appropriate software there's a lot more difference between 6.5
> MPixels and 10 MPixels than there is between 10 MPixels and 11 MPixels.
>
> --

Doug I'm curious how many pros are using full chip cameras and how many
are going with the partial chip which could be called "prosumer". I
think its often not the pros with the big bucks and if they had some big
bucks wou ld not spend it on an item which would be archaic in a year
and a half. ...5, 10 thousand dollars down the drain i cant afford that
style of loss now.
But as half the pro work is being done at 1.5 or 1.6 I've gone that
route and am only out one single grand in a a years time. Not five, then
or fifteen.
Like computer buying it's a "what can you afford to loose game."
I write this after having been at the Nikon lens site where 'd do not
been for quite a while and notice and the innovative glass coming out in
1.5 format if i may put it that way.
And again like many i think there should be a film format coming out in
that area. I've been screeming for "half frame" for years that's close
to that..

By the way although it would seem obvious the Canon EOS 1Ds is a
professional-grade camera I've heard that there are problems.
Has anybody heard about those? The files too big for the memory,
somthing like that.
If you've heard noting but glowing reports please don't bother to answer!

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com