Subject: [Leica] RE: More Leica manuals on-line.
From: David Young <dnr@horizon.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 17:20:40 -0700

Hi Joe!

I don't know if you are aware of it, but several folks are downloading
manuals from the internet, and selling them on Ebay.

This may not bother you, but it does me, and several others who have been
in contact with me.

We've had one fellow's auctions shut down several times, but there are
others selling .pdf copies on disk.

I think I've got something that will spoil it for those who download and
sell the manuals on my site.

When you first wrote, I added a header to each and every page on my
website, but that would only deter the honest. The .jpg's could be
downloaded without the header!

I've now taken all my instruction manuals and, using Photoshop, have added
grayed out lettering to 5 or 6 pages of each manual, which say:

"Free Copy. Not to be Sold." or "Free Manual. Not for resale."

Once they scans have been saved to .tif and then transformed to .jpg, the
lettering is almost impossible to remove.

I hope I've done it tastefully enough that it will not bother those with a
legitimate need for the books. But prominent enough that it will be seen by
buyers of the manuals.  With luck, they will realize they've been ripped
off and will complain!

To see what I mean, go to my website:

http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr and click on Leica Instruction Books.  Then
Click on the "Leica CL", and then on "Distance and Aperture Scales".

The CL,M4-2,R3,R4,R5, R6 and R7 each have 5 or 6 similar pages.

Short of taking the manuals off-line, or complaining to Ebay, what else can
we do?

You may want to consider doing something similar with your .pdf files.

Meanwhile, keep up the good work.  It's a great service you're offering!

Cheers!

David Young,     | égalité, liberté,
Victoria, CANADA | fraternité et Beaujolais.

Website at: www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr