Subject: [Leica] Re: OT What a prosumer camera is
From: Félix López de Maturana <fmaturana@euskalnet.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 12:11:14 +0100

> As for the Canon 1Ds, I downloaded a couple of sample shots (at
> random) taken with it from dpreview, and was appaled (sp?) by the poor
image
> quality in the corners of the frame.   Perhaps I picked two bad
examples
> (I'm sure users of the camera will flame me), but if a Leica lens
> exhibited these same qualities, Solms wouldn't hear the end of it.

>As I hear it this is a limitation of the full-frame chip.  I wonder
what >point of a full-frame chip is if it's not fully usable?  Aside
from >marketing purposes, of course.

There is a problem with corners and borders color fringe in full frame
digital SLRs. By now I've shooted many pictures with a EOS 1Ds, mostly
with 14mm and 16-35mm, and I can say:

1. There are some pictures with not so sharp borders but same happened
with these lens and my EOS 1v film camera
2. This does not happen always but only when the corners have very
contrasty objects
3. 95% of images are not only usable but the best I've got in 35mm
cameras digital or not
4. I can see this is not a camera for PJs as the huge size of files
produces makes workflow not very quick nor comfortable.
5. I love the camera! But so do I with my Leicas.

Kind regards

Felix

PS I'm awaiting from our friend Stephen Gandy a lens adaptor for using
my R lens in the 1Ds, mainly the outstanding 21-35mm. If someone is
interested in this experience I can give my opinion in few weeks.(Then
the mail will be on topic)

Replies: Reply from Dan C <leicaman@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] Re: OT What a prosumer camera is)
Reply from Jim Hemenway <Jim@hemenway.com> ([Leica] Canon and R lenses)