Subject: [Leica] Re: Joining the Lika Leica Club
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 20:27:57 -0700

WARNING:  Digital discussion, relating to the on-topic LC5 and Digilux 1.

David:

The bad press is mostly about the "posterization issue."  Evidently the
Lumix LC5 and Digilux have fairly aggressive image processing that can
cause somewhat abrupt jumps in color or degree of grayness in smooth
areas.  Edges of things can also look oversharpened.  I have seen this in
some posted pictures.  The LC5's processing is a bit more aggressive than
the Digilux "out of the box."  The effect can be minimized by setting the
camera to low sharpening.  There is also a firmware upgrade available from
Panasonic USA (for US model cameras only) that will back off on the processing.

Panasonic claims that the LC5 is optimized for printing rather than screen
viewing, that they are emphasizing high frequency detail in a way that
looks right when the ink hits the paper.  This may be true, or it may be
putting a positive corporate spin on a bad design decision.  But I must say
that a fair number of LC5 and Digilux owners have confirmed that when
printed, their images look great--better than when viewed on the screen.  A
lot of the complaints are based on viewing a digital image at 100% or
bigger on the screen. This may be great for spotting, but it is sort of
like viewing a pointillistic painting with your nose to the canvas.  You're
seeing the points, but you're missing the point.

As for noise, the short answer is that noise is the digital equivalent of
grain.  It can be random speckles of various colors or grey, or little
"splotches" of color.  Going to a higher ISO on a digital camera is just
like turning up the volume on an audio amplifier--you may hear a soft
signal better, but you also hear some hiss.  With the CCD, you see more
noise in the picture.

Here's a link that shows the noise in photographs from several digicams,
including the Leica
Digilux:  http://www.zonezero.com/magazine/dcorner/leica/leica.html#

The Digilux and LC5 have the reputation for being great at ISO 100 and
virtually unusable at ISO 400.  I've seen a number of comparisons, and it
does appear to have more noise than some.  This may be affected by the
sharpening agressiveness, so turning the latter down and sharpening in the
image editor may be a way around some of this.  I have read comments from
some users that LC5 noise cleans up very easily in Neat Image.  There's a
thread on the Leica-Camera.com digital forum that mentions using low
sharpening, contrast and saturation makes ISO 400 quite usable.

All of the above is based on reviews, comments and posted samples I've
read.  I will see for myself when I get my LC5.

The other aspect to the noise issue is that noise, like grain, shows up
more as you magnify the picture.  The bottom line is that all digicams are
noisy at ISO 400, though some more than others.   If you want that liquid,
noiseless look at ISO 400, you really need to go to the professional
DSLRs.  The smaller sensors in the digicams are just noisier to begin
with--less photons to compete with the random electrons flitting about. And
the more megapixels they cram on those tiny sensors, the worse it gets.

The original Steve's Digicams review that raised these issues is at:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/lumix_lc5_pg5.html

You can find more discussion about all this, along with the usual Internet
pontifications, at:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1001
and
http://www.leica-camera.com/discus_e/messages/3/3.html?1061352336

Do a search on LC5 or Digilux plus either Posterization or Noise or
Quality, and you'll find plenty of remarks.

- --Peter