Subject: [Leica] focusing (was zone f.)
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 12:43:21 +0200

(resending this message)

OK, I  know the answer to this question could be: 'go and do some
test shots', and also that the question may be slightly on the
theoretical side, but anyway, here we go:

Imagine for a second that you want to make a picture of three people
standing on the other side of the street. The street is 4 meters
wide. One of the people, let us call him 'the father' stands directly
opposite you on the curb, four meters away from you because you also
stand on the curb. Also on the curb on the other side of the street
from you, but three meters to the left of the father is his son, and
similarly, three meters to his right is his daughter. Obviously the
children are five meters away from you.

In this situation most people using an M will focus on the father
because he is so conveniently located  right there where the little
yellow window is, that we use for focusing. Others will focus on the
father because they have heard something about flat film plane and
they take that to mean that everything at a 'picture plane' paralell
to the film plane will be at the maximum sharpness if the distance
set equals the the minimum distance from the film plan to the picture
plane (i.e. measuring at 90° from camera to picture plane).

Now imagine you want to take a picture  of just the children, but
with the children remaining in their original position. In this
situation, most people would focus on one of the children (and thus
set the distance to 5 meters) and then reframe the picture to include
both of them. With the flat film theory as I understand it, the
children would not appear as sharp on the negative as they would had
you not refocused, i.e.  they would have appeared sharper on the
negative had you not changed the distance setting from 4 to 5 meters.

Please tell me what is right and wrong in the above. Please do not
tell me that it does not matter because it will be covered by depth
of field, because I know that is not true, at least not for large
lens openings.

Rgds

- --
Christer Almqvist