Subject: Re: [Leica] Photo Story
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 22:54:29 -0700

This looks like a great project. All sorts of promise.

Some of the photos aren't terribly sharp. You need to make sure you
keep your shutter speeds up or shoot a lot to catch some frames where
he doesn't move too much when the shutter speed is slow.

Does he ever interact with people other than his life partner? It's
good to see you choose loose and tight shots, like in the garden. I
like how you use different-shaped frames (such as the very narrow,
vertical ender on the bike).

Get a short or two closer in, where you can really see his eyes.

Tonality is a bit off. Too gray, too flat, too blown out. So you need
to refine your printing. If this is just this way online, then ignore
this point.

Just keep shooting. Look for more variety. Fill in the holes in the
things he does that aren't represented here. You're doing a good job so
far. So few people attempt a real photo essay such as this one is
shaping up to be. Keep it up!

On Wednesday, August 20, 2003, at 09:46  PM, David Degner wrote:

> I only learn and get better if you give me thorough (non-sugared)
> critiques.

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by reading. The few
who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric
fence. - Will Rogers.