Subject: RE: [Leica] digitalrebel
From: "Phong" <phong@doan-ltd.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 04:05:13 -0400

Allen,

It does not even take 2 or 3 years, though this is true
only for the body (and perhaps some accessories).  The
upgrade cycle for the lenses are much longer.   In my case,
it helped a lot that I use the same lenses from my film SLR.
I offset the cost of the body within a year from the saving
in film and film processing.

In any case,  I think people (especially on this list) do
not actually rush out and switch to a digital system.  It
is more likely that they go thru quite a long period of
deliberation, of watch and see.  In many cases, even after
they "go serious" with digital, they still retain a sizable
working kit in film equipment, keeping their feet on both sides
so to speak.

The real cost is the cost of exit, and not the cost of entry.
The frightening, dizzying pace of depreciation allows
for little room for mistake.  If you choose wrong, you can't
expect to recuperate any substantial part of the cost of
equipment, unlike Leica where you can plunk down $5K for a
body and 3 lenses, try it out and get 80% of it back in 6 months
if you don't like it.

- - Phong

Replies: Reply from "Robert VanLane" <robert@actv.ne.jp> ([Leica] NC+MC=LF??????)