Subject: RE: [Leica] digitalrebel
From: Douglas Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 11:25:29 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

bdcolen <bdcolen@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Come on, Doug - I'm not talking about the SLRs on which you have mounted
> modern glass

Come on, BD - my 400mm Telyt is a 1968 design.  My 280mm and 560mm lenses are 1970 designs.  The advances in film emulsions have made the images exposed with these lenses quite competetive, technically at least.

A digital capture device is no longer competetive in most respects in a couple of years and is a very subtantial expense.  If the photographer would have used a large volume of film before the digital camera is no longer competetive, then the continouous 'up'grade cycle for digital cameras can make sense on an economic basis - assuming the camera's peripheral devices don't also have to be 'up'graded at the same time.  OTOH the hardware changes often come with new learning curves and this can put people off too.

> As to changing film types - Gee, a digital with isos of 100-200-400-800-1600-3200, with the ability to pick from
> more than a half-dozen color temps, and to select a custom color temp, differs little from a film camera in which
> one can switch film types. Oh, no, that's not true, is it? With the digital you can switch film types for each
> individual shot. ;-)

This seems to be devolving into one of those pointless film-vs.digital threads.  I doubt anyone on the list wants to excersize the delete key that much.  My point is that the old cameras have been improving gradually over the years at the cost of only a few dollars for another roll of film.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com