Subject: RE: [Leica] digitalrebel
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 15:01:51 -0400

B.D.
The Canon 1Ds isn't selling well to journalists and what have you.  It
is selling very well indeed to studios, fine art, portrait, wedding, and
catalog houses.  Check out what is happening to medium format film
cameras.  Their prices are in a dive that I am afraid is permanent.
There is even a view camera attachment for the 1Ds because it is a
cheaper capture device than a back for medium format or large format.

You are probably right as to adding another full frame as long as there
is no competition.  The Kodak is just not making a splash; Canon is a
smart company and why spend time and yen when no one has what you have.

As to Doug's point, while your point is very valid it does not address
his point.  Doug was saying that with modern film, I can make sellable
images with my 1930's camera.  No, I wouldn't use a Contax II for
professional sports, but I could capture Howard Dean on a stump speech
and be on the front page of the Times if the image was compelling
enough.

The same will be true with digital once the pixel count comes up to
around 10MP.  This also assumes equivalent improvements to firmware and
post processing software.

Last, it is much harder to produce a different image with digital for
most people than what the camera puts out.  It is as much a matter of
imagination as ability.  I can shoot a roll of Velvia which has a unique
look, then switch to Provia 1600 pushed four stops for a very different
look.  Yes, some practitioners of the PS art can do this but most can
not.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com

BD said in part:
Your first response did get through, but not with the first part
attached in its second iteration - or something like that -:-)

For the vast majority of those on this list, who only take photos for
their own pleasure and the pleasure of friends and family, it matters
not where the digital bar goes in the future.