Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: nightclub advice
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 11:23:28 -0700

JCB suggested:
Subject: nightclub advice

> I think that Ted's thinking is that, this is a Leica list and Leica's
don't
> use EV settings.
>
> And Ted's formula is the correct formula. Neopan 1600 (at 3200 if
> necessary), Xtol 1:1, M6 or M7 with built-in meter, and you are home free.
> >Lots of light meters express readings in EV too.

Hi JCB,
That's correct re the Leica camera and EV settings.

However, the reality is, EV settings after all these years as a photographer
are just a couple of unused letters and adjustments of a camera in the
lexicon of my photographic vocabulary & use.

Mine has always been shutter speeds, ASA ratings, aperture and shutter speed
settings, light meter readings in ASA and those usual kinds of things. And
when I saw EV being used more years ago than many of you were on this
planet, it was just something for those commercial guys and not a
photojournalist to use, so I never bothered with it.

And considering I worked several years with three Hassleblad 500c and an SWC
some days as though they were 35mm cameras, then the next day switched to
Leica's for several days depending on the light and assignment locations,
the EV still remained a non-issue during my shooting.

I apologize for my first post re- EV settings as I forgot to put a bunch of
smileys, as I meant it completely as a tongue in cheek question. :-) :-) :-)
:-) :-) There now, I hope this clarifies this mornings earlier post and I'm
forgiven. ;-)

I appreciate the lads explaining what and how the EV works, as once again
I've found the value of the LUG as it on occasion, one can learn something.
;-) Thanks again.
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
"Doctors' Work."  book ........ www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant