Subject: [Leica] Documentary
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 12:30:23 -0400

Saw- and highly recommend - a new documentary called The Weather
Underground, about the 60s radical group. Extremely well done, quite
balance; quite sad. And it contained to fascinating 60s foto-footnotes -
the film footage of the shooting by Gen. Loan of the VC captive in
Saigon which became a still photo icon as captured by Edie Adams, and
the film of the little girl with napalm burns running down the road.
Interestingly, the film of the little girl doesn't have anywhere near
the impact of the still - but the film of the execution is quite
disturbing, perhaps because the camera lingers on the body as blood
spurts from the head wound.

In any case, for those old enough - and straight enough at the time - to
remember the 60s, it's a fascinating trip back. And for those too young
to have lived through the period - like my daughter, who went with me -
it's a terrific educational couple of hours.

B. D.