Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Re: Leica 90mm f/4.0 Elmar C prices
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 17:50:06 -0700

At 7:59 PM -0400 8/26/03, Afterswift@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 8/26/03 4:53:12 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>msmall@infionline.net writes:
>
>>  A number of Telyts do so, such as the 4.5/20cm.  I believe that all 4/9cm
>>   or 90mm Elmars stop down to either f/36 (European aperture scale) or f/32
>>   (International scale).
>>
>Still it's rare to find a lens for a 35mm that stops down to f32. I've never
>seen f32 on a Nikon lens.
>
>br

Many longer, slower Nikon lenses have f/32. The problem with f/32 on
the 90 is that while the depth of field may be large, diffraction at
that aperture is severe enough to make everything medium fuzzy. Not
an effect one aims for with Leica glass.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com