Subject: Re: [Leica] Photo scandal at National Geographic!!!
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 23:20:16 -0700

David doesn't do nature photography. One of his most famous photos is
the woman in the gold dress emerging from a limousine and caught with
slow shutter speed and flash to have a combination of movement and
sharpness. Your statement didn't limit the magazine's now allowing blur
to nature photos. So maybe I read into it more than  you meant, but I
don't think their photo editors would make a distinction - and do seem
to remember a lot of nature photos with lots of blue. Like the essay
several years ago on the Okavango forest in Africa. And some photos
Chris Johns took in Africa.

To stop that, I would suspect that regardless of flash or shutter speed
or both would be at least 1/2000 sec. Maybe even faster. And yes, flash
can be used with that fast - with a Hasselblad. :-)

I have a feeling this isn't the last we'll hear about this if it turns
out to be faked.

On Friday, August 29, 2003, at 10:45  PM, Dennis Painter wrote:

> No I am not, I take it that Mr. Harvey accepts blur in such photos.
>
> But my question related to how the motion of the bird was stopped,
> electronic flash, or high speed shutter, and if high speed shutter, how
> fast would it have to be.

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

"A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is still
putting on its shoes."
- -- Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain)