Subject: RE: [Leica] Photo scandal at National Geographic!!!
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 15:54:08 -0700

On 2003-08-30 bdcolen@earthlink.net (bdcolen) thoughtfully wrote:

>Certainly it's true that there were fakes long before digital - but it
>is utterly inarguable that digital technology makes photo faking far
>easier, bringing it within the reach of virtually any putz with
>Photoshop. It's interesting to note that one of the - expensive -
>accessories listed for the Canon1D on the B&H site is, or at least was,
>something -software I assume- that in theory makes it apparent if there
>has been any alteration what-so-ever in the image as captured by the
>camera. Of course I assume that there was a hack for this as soon as it
>was announced. ;-)
>
>B. D.

I assumed this was for crime-scene folks so the images they shot could be
determined to be "untampered" when used as evidence. I remember reading about it
but haven't followed up.

I would assume that there must be SOME way to demonstrate that the file
downloaded for the camera hasn't been tampered with - but in the digital domain
this is a tricky question.

I'm assuming that all crime scene photos these days are still shot on film of
some sort with chain-of-custody processing etc but I don't know that.

Curiously some of the best chain-of-custody protocols I've dealt with have been
with environmental samples which have rigourous protocols and chain of custody
requirements - almost as strict as high-level nuclear materials.

Adam

Replies: Reply from "Jim McIntyre" <mcintyre@ca.inter.net> (Re: [Leica] Photo scandal at National Geographic!!!)