Subject: [Leica] National Geographic scandal
From: "Emanuel Lowi" <mano@proxyma.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 21:57:49 -0400

Before anyone has a heart attack about some of the stats Eric has offered about Nat
Geo photo assignments, I believe it has been a very very long time since
photographers had 6-9 months to shoot NG stories and 2-3 years delay before
publication. Until the late-ish '90s, an assignment could run about 3-4 months and it
could take about a year to get into print -- the latter not an outrageous delay, the
former clearly a bit of an indulgence. Now assignments may run a month or so -- still
not too too stingy.

The bigger numbers are from way back when, in the days when being an NG shooter was
something equivalent in status to being a Mercury or Gemini astronaut at NASA. The
world has changed a great deal since then -- not kinder and gentler, but quicker and
dirtier. Lots of quality things have slipped in similar ways and most people just
don't seem to care. We consume visual images in all kinds of ways, and Nat Geo is no
longer our main window on the world.

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal

Replies: Reply from Seth Rosner <sethrosner@direcway.com> (Re: [Leica]was National Geographic scandal; now: quality)