Subject: Re: [Leica] Photo scandal at National Geographic!!!
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 11:59:52 -0700

Except for the fact that they are photos of a doctor acting for the
camera. That alone weakens the power of the story, not to mention
question Gene Smith's ability to shoot on the run. Not that I believe
that, but a reasonable person could legitimately ask.

The era of photojournalism ethics began with Cliff Edom founding the
photo program at the oldest journalism school in the world at the
University of Missouri-Columbia. Cliff was actually a newspaper
engraver, but he saw the faked, set-up photos, and the
line-'em-up-and-shoot-'em-down type of photography dictated by Speed
Graphics.

There were others who were developing photojournalism ethics, but it
was Cliff's influence that shaped the print media in the States more
than any other single person. He shaped the photographers who made
National Geographic the great magazine it was in its heyday. More than
half of their staffers were his students. Many of the illustrations
editors were too.

I knew Cliff. He was a force to be reckoned with in the photojournalism
world. His contest - Pictures of the Year, was very influential in
newspaper photojournalism for years, until a pissing match (that went
on for years behind the scenes) between the University and the NPPA
screwed things up. His workshop, "The Missouri Photo Workshop" was also
influential in shaping the professionalism of mid-career
photojournalists. The best and brightest photo editors taught
photojournalists the art of the photo essay. They didn't call it
photojournalism boot camp for nothing. I did it when I was a student.
It was a nightmare, and a great growing experience. The Mountain
Workshop that Rich Clarkson runs in Wyoming every September is based on
the Missouri Photo Workshop.

Anyway, I disagree that the idea of unposed photos and unretouched
photos is a fallacy or false God. It is, in fact, the only thing that
will maintain the credibility of working photojournalists. Of course,
people can make it a false god and obsess on the details while missing
the "big picture." But every time a photojournalist manipulates a
situation he is photographing, or removes a telephone wire from behind
George Bush's head just because it makes him look like he wasn't
watching his backgrounds, the line is being stepped over that will ruin
our profession. I know it happens every day. Hacks take the easy way
out. Editors demand cheating from photographers they would never allow
to writers. Photography still has to pull more than its own weight.
It's one of the reasons I got out. I was sick of dealing with writers
and editors who didn't get it. And owners who would not hire enough
photographers to do the job right. In the end, again, it's money that
undermines the way things should be. It's not just National Geographic.
It's every publication that cuts corners and under-values photography
that contributes to the dumbing down of the news media.

So what's new? Society in general seems to be willing to compromise
quality to save a buck. Leica owners know this all too well.

Speaking of money, Tim, send me an email at work. (ewelch@gia.edu) I
want to send you some more!

On Sunday, August 31, 2003, at 09:22  AM, Tim Atherton wrote:

> The idea of the "pure" unposed un-retouched photojournalistic image is
> fairly recent one (and also something of a fallacy and false god in
> itself).
>
> Weegee and Smith were totally in line with their times. Smith
> especially was
> concerned about the truth of what he photographed, no how closely it
> came
> with the reality of the situation. As I recall, the famous shot of the
> country doctor crossing the field under darkening sky involved him
> crossing
> the field several times that morning so Smith could get it just right -
> which does nothing at all to detract from the power of his essay on the
> country doctor.

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

"If we had time for more meetings, we would have made more mistakes."
Leon Trotsky