Subject: [Leica] Re: National Geographic scandal
From: JCB <jcb@visualimpressions.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 13:24:15 -0700

At 10:49 AM 8/31/2003 -0700, Doug Herr wrote:

>I've never owned a TV either; like feli, I don't see much point in sitting
>on my arse watching someone else's adventures when I could go outside and
>make my own.

Well... there are a hellova lot of really great science and nature shows
that most folks (me and most likely you) could never ever participate in.
Too many disciplines and way too expensive.

Therefore, TV has its place. For instance, the fish & wildlife service
thought that over fishing in Alaska was causing the demise of seal and sea
lion population. As a result, fishing time and quantity limits were imposed
upon the fisherman, putting many out of business.

A very expensive study, extensively filmed, proved otherwise. The
documentary was aired on TV. Discovery channel I believe. It was extremely
interesting, impossible to participate in, and without a TV, unknown.

I was flat on my back for nearly two weeks from an injury and was able to
watch countless hours of science and nature programs. A very very
interesting program called "If we had no moon" which is a real eye opener
as to the science of where the moon came from and what it did/does to
sanction life on earth.

So I have to say that having a TV is not a crime. Many many great shows are
aired that can educate and leave you awe struck all at once.

You cannot dive to the Titanic, dig up King Tut, chart the ocean currents,
dive under the ice, travel through space with the Hubble, etc, etc, etc...
unless you are a bazillionair and can live two lifetimes.

Having a TV is indeed worthwhile.

Half hour sitcoms... absolutely totally worthless.

Science and nature shows... absolutely wonderful.

JB