Subject: RE: [Leica] PJ standards -- Like Caesar's wife
From: Dan C <leicaman@sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 13:35:16 -0400

External hard drives for serious home use?   What kind of home generates
that much data?  One DVD holds 4.7 Gig.  You consider that tiny for home use?

I used to have external drives made by Iomega.   I still have 4 of their
cartridges here, each holding a *mammoth* 90meg of data.  The computers and
with the Bernoulli drives capable of reading these disks are long gone,
making them completely unreadable.

How long in the future can current hard disks be viable?   And what is the
life expectancy of a harddrive sitting in storage?   I can't believe that
an organization interested in archiving priceless data would rely on
mechanical media.

dan c.