Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Digital Leica M
From: Feli di Giorgio <feli2@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 13:12:21 -0700

Ok, so Leica has to design lenses with with a collimator lens at the
rear. Would that have a negative impact on image quality? I pitched the
Foveon, because I found the images that I have seen from the SD9 to be
very pleasing. They are sharper and don't exhibit a lot of the
artifacts that I see in images from lets say a 10D. Again, I'm just a
layman when it comes to the technical mombo jumbo of designing these
thing, but I'm just tossing out an idea. Personally I have very little
desire for a digital M or any other digital camera. I'm not a working
PJ who has to email his images from some foxhole and frankly I like
playing around with film, chemicals etc. As it is I spend far too much
time in front of a computer at work, so it's the last thing I want to
see when I get home.

feli

On Monday, Sep 1, 2003, at 12:26 US/Pacific, JCB wrote:

> The problem is that the Foveon chip is WORSE in this respect than
> conventional CCD/CMOS Bayer pattern chips. Why? Because the green and
> red sensors are deep within the chip rather than on the surface. If
> you want to really see color fringing out on the edge of a digital
> photo, using a wide angle lens, just use a Foveon chip. I have a
> friend that works at Foveon and have seen the results first hand. Or
> you can go buy a Sigma/Foveon and see for yourself.
>
> http://www.foveon.com/X3_tech.html
>
> The only answer to the wide angle lens - sensor acceptance angle
> problem is to design digital specific lenses which have a collimator
> lens at the rear to re-angle the light rays straight down onto the
> sensor. One lens manufacturer is already doing this.
>
> JB
safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety. 				-Benjamin Franklin

feli2@earthlink.net

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Digital Leica M)