Subject: [Leica] Startling pictures
From: LRZeitlin@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 19:50:53 EDT

<<Whoa! Larry,

"...startle the reader.  Anything goes...?!?"   Was your editor a photo

editor or a managing editor who thought he knew something about

photojournalism.  Many newspaper PJs have been fired for thinking anything

goes.>>

Lloyd,

Well, the paper wasn't the New York Times. It was one of those afternoon
papers that subsisted on stock market reports, baseball scores, racing results,
store ads, and movie schedules. While we didn't always run photos of scantily
clad ladies on page 3, we did on most days. Any picture that ran on the front
page had to have enough shock appeal to get the commuter to grab it off the rack
instead of one of our several competitors. Of course that was back before TV
and cable. People actually had to buy a newspaper to get the news. Our city
had four daily papers, some publishing both morning and afternoon editions. And
I did use a Speed Graphic.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from "LSchultz" <lschultz334@charter.net> (Re: [Leica] Startling pictures)