Subject: Re: [Leica] PJ standards -- Like Caesar's wife
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 19:51:17 -0700

No, Dan, they couldn't possibly keep up doing it with CDs, or even
DVDs! They use a digital asset management system. Like the one my
workplace is installing. The one we have, Artesia Teams, is only in 125
installations in the world. Getty keeps 88 million images in it.
General Motors is another company that uses the same DAMS we do. Our
installation will cost something like $500,000.00 and that's just to
get us started (the process has taken three years so far, and we're
just beginning testing on the first 26,000 records this week (we hope).
It runs on Oracle 9i as the back end.

But what's most fun is we can say "Gotta go to the DAM meeting" to our
boss and not get reprimanded. :-)

The benefit of a DAMS is that there is no chance that it will never
become obsolete like media such as CDs and DVDs.  It can always be
upgraded to the latest storage technology with no loss of data. We will
never have a problem with losing data. (Back up with one copy always
off-site and a heavy-duty level V RAID that can almost never lose
data.) And we'll never run out of space. Right now we have 3 terabytes
of space (multiple actually because of the RAID).

Now, the big question is, how am I gonna sneak my personal photos into
this thing? :-)

On Monday, September 1, 2003, at 09:31  AM, Dan C wrote:

> Assuming that an organization such as the New York Times stores it's
> digital files on CDs,
Eric
Carlsbad, CA

Associate not with evil men, lest you increase their number. - Frank
Herbert